In the past month, we realized that we know very little about our soon-to-be new home. Trent traveled to Asia last year, so he has an idea of what Singapore is about. The kids and I? Well,we know NOTHING. So, after some very basic internet researching, this is what I now know:
1. Singapore is a very small island, about 12 miles x 20 miles, will over 4 million people living there!!
2. Despite being an island, there are no beaches. There is Sentosa Island however, a man-made beach-type of resort.
3. It is 3 degrees north of the equator, and they have a “monsoon season” That means it is hot, hot, hot, and humid all the time!!
4. Laws and rules, rules and laws. I better learn each and everyone of them, because the citations, fines, and penalties are stiff. Chewing gum is a big no no, as is hugging in public, nudity, and internet hacking. This is all I know right now, kind of scary, right? Do yellow lights mean ” be careful” or do they mean “stop” ? I need to know!!
5. They have monkeys, the way we have squirrels. I have been told that if we carry any food in our bags, the monkeys will know, and they will attack for that food. I also read that there is a $10,000 fine for feeding the monkeys.
6. Singapore is considered “Asia Light” because it is so americanized. English is the main language, however, so is mandarin.
7. It takes nearly two days to get there, no kidding. 22 hours!
8. Fish. They eat fish, fish and then more fish. Even the eyeballs.
9. They drive on the wrong side of the road, from the wrong side of the car.
I don’t even have a number 10 for this list. Singapore!!!!